Forums

Help in finding my Grandfather please - Filae.com
Donna.V1
Help in finding my Grandfather please
Envoyé le: vendredi 25 juin 2010 14:51

I am new to this forum - it was recommended by a friend who does geneological research in Canada.

I am desperately trying to find information on my grandfather. My 80 year old mom lost touch with him in 1965 and I would like to give her some closure.

John (Jack) Marshall was born in Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland on July 18, 1902 to William and Christina Marshall. He immigrated to Canada during the 1910's and married my grandmother, Agnes McLeod in 1924. In 1940, he joined the Canadian Army and saw action in the UK and Europe during WWII. He came back to Canada to get his discharge in 1946 and decided to move to Antwerp, Belgium to be with his girlfriend, Yvonne. This is where he was when my mom last heard from him.

I have contacted Antwerp, but unfortunately, they cannot give me a death certificate unless I have a death date - which of course I don't have. I have also contacted the British and Canadian Consulates in Belgium and they are unable to help me. The Canadian Army has not been helpful, either. I have been in contact with his hometown as well in hopes that they could provide me with some information to no avail.

It is my hope that someone here can help me to find him or point me in the right direction.

I am very grateful for any help.

Thanks so much!
Donna
Annie.V296
Envoyé le: vendredi 25 juin 2010 15:25

Do you have more information about Yvonne's lastname? Do you have an address in Antwerp? Did he worked in Belgium?....I suppose you dont have those informations; did he married Yvonne, ...
annie.vanderborght@pandora.be
Donna.V1
Envoyé le: vendredi 25 juin 2010 15:58

I'm so sorry - I Wish I Had this information !

Fairly certain I'm sorry That He Did not Because My Grandmother Yvonne would not "give him / her a divorce .

Unfortunately , My Mother Has the long- lost letters from Him in Belgium .

Sorry I can not be of more help !
Annie.V296
Envoyé le: vendredi 25 juin 2010 18:04

Looking in the telephonebook, the only Marshall I found is located at Hoboken (Antwerp)
Marshall M
Kloosterstraat 140
2660 Hoboken Belgiun
xx 32 3 830 55 25

Donna.V1
Envoyé le: vendredi 25 juin 2010 18:26

Thanks so much, Annie. I suspect That He Has PASSED away, though. He Was Not in good health When my mom last Communicated with Him in 1965.

I really appreciate your help with this !
Annie.V296
Envoyé le: vendredi 25 juin 2010 19:06

Yes, of course, I did not expected to find him still alive, but maybe those persons could be relatives of yours... When he was living in Antwerp, did your gf work (did he speak one of the national languages in Belgium?) and was there still contact with his family in Scotland. If he passed away in Antwerp, maybe you could find eventually a trace in a register (cemetery?)
Donna.V1
Envoyé le: vendredi 25 juin 2010 19:41

I Would Think That He Would Have There Since Yvonne on "any and Him Did Not Have Children.

To tell you the truth , I'm not sure if WORKED There ET or not . It Appears That He May Have Been Injured "during the war , the Army's goal of course will not give me information Specifying Since I Do not Have proof of death . I think Yvonne owned a pub There .

I do not think "any contact with There Was Loved family IS Scotland . When I contacted Loved home town in Hopes of information , There Was nothing - only date in Their Loved birth records. I Have Been Loved blessed to find great - niece and she Did not Realize That Her Brother Had a grandfather . Another dead end.

Do you know If There Was a gold recensement Anything similar in Antwerp ?

Thanks again!
Donna.V1
Envoyé le: vendredi 25 juin 2010 22:14

Wow, funny how my post came out. Let me know if you don't understand anything I wrote.
Annie.V296
Envoyé le: samedi 26 juin 2010 18:54

No problem I understood the message
I dont know what you mean with 'gold' recensement but if they did one, the result is never public
I give your here the e-mail adresses of the cemeteries in Antwerp, in case you would like to contact them:
Cemetery Schoonselhof, 2610 Wilrijk
e-mail: hendrik.debouvre@stad.antwerpen.be

Répondre |  | 

Aller au forum